Sunday, February 26, 2006

Family Scripture Reading

Bible

Duskianna and I were discussing some creative ways to work leisure Bible reading into our daily routine without it being early or late in the day and without it taking away from our family time....Answer: Read together as a family.

What a simple concept? Read together. We wanted to get ourselves into a routine of reading the Bible for fun and family scripture reading time is great. Tonight we started our quest. After supper, I opened God's word and read the day's proverbs - chapter 26, and then 3 chapters of John. I read from the NLT since my kids are little and the NLT was written on a 3rd grade level. It also helps with making the reading a little more fun.

It only took about 20 minutes, but we really enjoyed our time. Yazzi (9 years old) said that it was answer to prayer because she had been asking God for someone to read the Bible outloud to her. I'm not sure why, but "Praise God".

Zoe (3 years old) wasn't too interested in what we read, but she sat quietly through it. The funny thing is that she understood what was going on, but just not the stories that were read. When we finished, Zoe went straight to her room and got me her Christmas story kids book and asked me to read it. I was blessed because: #1 she was so cute and #2 she wanted to hear more about Jesus. My stories were over her head, but this put it on her level.

Duskianna seemed to like it, too. As a family, I think we can set aside 20 minutes a day to read through the Bible. I'm not sure what we'll read each evening, but I think we'll set our first goal to read through the gospels, then the new testament, and finally the whole scriptures. It may take a few years, but if they keep wanting to hear it, I'm going to keep reading it. I suppose that I'll be reading to them even if they don't want it - I am the dad after all so they'll have to obey.

A word of encouragement: Read the Word outloud in your home. What your family will hear will change their lives forever.

P.S. We need some ideas about what to call our little time. Remember my kids are little, so a cool name for the activity will motivate them to attend. Leave your ideas in the comments. THX.

2-26-06%20018.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

JESUgraf S