Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Godly Wife

This evening during Bible study, a woman asked for us to pray that she would be a godly wife. She wants to be loving to her husband and honorable to God. I admire her request. She was very bold and humbled herself to request prayer in the areas of pleasing her husband spiritually, mentally and physically. She expanded on the physically part by saying to pray for her devotion to her husband sexually. It was mixed company in the room and everyone went silent. This must have been pretty unnerving for her as it seemed to have been for the rest of us in the room. I know, however, that the rest of us in the room really appreciated this open request and will certainly lift it up to God in our prayers.

IMG_8187a I know that as a husband, I have been blessed to have a godly wife. I would hope that she would be willing to humble herself to bless me. If she's struggling in any part of our marriage, I'm confident that she would be praying for this on her own, and I would feel loved by her if she felt that she could share that concern with me so that I could be praying as well. I'd be blown out of the water, with love, if she included our church family in praying for every intimate part of our married life because that would show me that she's not allowing herself to succeed under her own power but through the Holy Spirit!

God wants us to pray for each other. When we take prayer requests, why not be open with our brothers and sisters about what we really need help with, instead of trying to always look like we're perfect and selfless. Now, I have to say that I don't in any way think that this godly woman and her husband are struggling in their marriage, but I do think that she has a genuine desire for her marriage to be outstanding and blessed by God, so that's why she brought it up. We, as followers of Christ, do need to be praying for our marriages, even down to the detail of squeezing the toothpaste from the bottom, if that is a struggle in your marriage. God desires this and honors this. We should also be including the body of Christ in our marriage. Accountability and support are extremely important and I encourage everyone to lower your personal defenses and allow the body to take part in your life by praying for your intimate details.

IMG_8206a

technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome posting for those of us married! Too often couples don't turn to fellow Followers of Jesus, but to "girlfriends" or "buddies" and engage in gossip about how we wish our spouse were different. Our brothers and sisters in Christ desire to pray for others in need but the request needs to be made, for we are not "mind readers." Boldness is great when directed vertically! MET

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How admirable that a wife would be so open and honest about her desire and the need for prayer. I would be so humbled for any husband to have the fortune of a wife who would seek to be so faithful and honorable. A brother in Christ has Proverbs 31 tattooed under his wife's name-a passage about a wife having noble character. Glad you shared this woman's honorable actions in your blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

JESUgraf S